River Island Cruise
This cruise on the highest navigable reaches of the Brahmaputra highlights the unique culture of the area, fusing Indian and Southeast Asian influences with a visit to Sibsagar – the old capital of the Ahom kings – and Majuli Island, with its unique Hindu monastic communities famous for their dance drama. Wildlife is not forgotten and the cruise visits the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Kaziranga National Park where sightings of one-horned rhinos are virtually guaranteed.
River Island Cruise itinerary:
River Island Cruise reverse itinerary:
Vessel Type: River Boat
Lenght: 38 meters
Passenger Capacity: 24
ABN Charaidew is a 38m-long, twin-engined, steel hulled passenger boat. She was completely stripped down and rebuilt in 2003 to provide 10 twin-bedded and 2 double-bedded cabins with en-suite shower and W.C.
The grand old lady of our fleet, she makes up in character what she lacks in twenty-first century glitz.
The polished brass engine room telegraph and enormous ship’s wheel bear witness to her heritage. All cabin accommodation is on the upper deck, as is a bar and saloon opening onto a front deck. A dining room with full-length opening glass doors on each side is on the lower deck, while a large top sundeck offers additional comfortable open-air seating in shade or sun.
Local handloom fabrics specially woven for us and comfortable cane sofas and chairs contribute to the attractive decor.
* Spacious cabins with individual climate control
* En suite shower/WC with Biotique toiletries
* Generous cupboard space and under-bed storage
* Hair drier in each cabin
* High quality linens
* Large sliding glass windows offering panoramic views of the river
* Vast sundeck both open and shaded, with sunloungers or steamer chairs.
* Shore excursion programme including all admissions
* Naturalist onboard the vessel
* Cold towel service after excursions
* Welcome drink after excursions
* Shoe-cleaning after excursions
* Turndown service in all cabins
* Expertly trained culinary staff
* Single seating for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner
* Acclaimed combination of Indian & Western cuisines
* Wide choice of wines, spirits & beer
* Complimentary tea, coffee & mineral water throughout
* Welcome reception
* Farewell reception
* Local on-board dance & song performances.
• KAZIRANGA - A World Heritage site and right on the river, Kaziranga National park holds most of India's One-Horned Rhinoceros as well as elephant, tiger, wild buffalo, sambar, swamp deer, hog deer and many other species. Viewing is both by jeep and on elephant back.
• MAJULI ISLAND - A vast river island in the Brahmaputra, on which are a number of unique Vaishnavite Hindu monasteries, famous for performances of religious dance-drama.